Friday, April 15, 2011

chicken tortilla soup

But FIRST!!!
Last week, I saw this idea.  The result has been most eye-opening, humbling, freeing, healing.  So, I had to share...
The idea is to make a "sorry box," a box of repentance, where we write or draw things we want to say sorry for.  I told the boys this is just between them and God, but they have chosen to share some.  As I was explaining, one boy lunged for a pen and paper and wrote "I stol a cat" and stuck it in the box.  Now that happened 4 months ago (a stuffed cat from Goodwill :), but that is a burden he has been carrying.  Something he wants to erase, but can't.  So, we confess. We name.  He already knows.  But when we uncover our sin to Him, He covers it over with His grace.  With His forgiveness.  With His love.  Because of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross for us, we can have...get this...peace with God.  
By His wounds, we are healed!

We will keep adding to the box until Easter, when we will throw it away to symbolize it. is. finished.  Our sins are forgiven, and God remembers them no more!

To share this idea with the boys, I spent some time looking up verses to explain this to them.  Here are some that have brought me to tears.  I hope you will take the time to read of His amazing love for you.  

How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?  Cleanse me from these hidden faults.  Keep me from deliberate sins!  Don't let them control me.  Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin.  Psalm 19.12-13

People who cover their sins will not prosper.  But if they confess and forsake them, they will receive mercy.  Proverbs 28.13

When I refused to confess my sin, I was weak and miserable, and I groaned all day long.  Finally, I confessed all my sins to You and stopped trying to hide them...and You forgave me!  All my guilt is gone!  Psalm 32.3,5

If we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just and will forgive us and cleanse us from every wrong.  1 John 1.9

He personally carried away our sins in His own body on the cross so we can be  dead to sin and live for what is right.  You have been healed by His wounds!  1 Peter 2.24

You were dead because of your sins and because of your sinful nature was not yet cut away.  Then God made you alive with Christ.  He forgave all your sins. He canceled the record that contained the charges against us.  He took it and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ's cross.  Colossians 2.13-14

I will forgive their wrongdoings, and I will never again remember their sins.  Hebrews 8.12, Jeremiah 31.34

As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our sins from us.  Psalm 103.12

Lord, if you kept a record of our sins, who could ever survive?
But You offer forgiveness, that we might learn to fear You.  Psalm 130.3-4

But He was pierced for our transgressions, 
He was crushed for our iniquities;
The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
and by His wounds we are healed.  Isiaiah 53.5 

All praise to Him who loves us 
and has freed us from our sins
by shedding His blood for us!  
Revelation 1.5


Because I promised...There are so many variations to this recipe you could do.  Use rotisserie chicken if you don't have to be GF.  I put *another chicken option* below.  Red peppers would be delish.  You could leave out the corn and add another can of black beans.  You can add in corn tortillas cut into strips.  Use what you have, and have fun!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 Grilled Split Chicken Breasts (Meat taken off bone and shredded - I did this the night before when we had leftover grilled chicken)
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 cup Diced Onion
1/2 cup Diced Green Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper would be amazing too, just didn't have any.
3 cloves Garlic, Minced

2 teaspoons Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
1 can (10 Oz.) Rotel Tomatoes And Green Chilies (FYI: I used the Aldi mexican diced tomatoes and the can was 14 oz. :)
32 ounces Chicken Stock
3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
4 cups Hot Water
1 can (15 Oz.) Black Beans, Drained

1 cup Frozen Corn
1 cup Chopped Cilantro
FOR THE GARNISHES:  Sour Cream, Diced Avocado, Grated Monterey Jack Cheese, Cilantro

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add cumin and salt. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.  Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, black beans, and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.  
Add cilantro.  Check seasonings, adding more if needed.  Ladle into bowls, then top with sour cream, diced avocado, grated cheese, more cilantro - whatever you like.

*Another Chicken Option*
2 Whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Olive Oil
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drizzle olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice on both sides.  Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use two forks to shred chicken. 


We enjoyed this for a few lunches this week, along with some grilled corn quesadillas.  By enjoy, I mean yes it's delish.  But, I love my lunches with these little buddies, and find joy in any shortcut to be more here.


No comments:

Post a Comment