Monday, October 31, 2011

a new week

I was in a drugstore the other day and a lady was saying “I’ve spent so long in here, and I’ll probably get home, sort out my meds in their case for the week and still not have everything I need.”  I thought about that for longer than I probably should have – this is what we have to look forward to?!  There are always parts of the season we’re in we can wish weren’t there:  I wish it weren't so cold, I wish I got more sleep, I wish it was the weekend, I wish things weren't so tight, I wish I didn’t hurt, you name it…  Spend some time in a nursing home and you’ll start to wonder why we are wishing time away.  It’s true that having something to look forward to may help us get through a difficult season.  But, a very wise lady who deals with chronic pain once told me “I just don’t want to complain because I may look back on these as the good ole' days.”  


Not that everything in our day is the way we would write the story.  There may be chapters that are harder than others, that we just want to skim.  But, you know the feeling you get when you realized you raced to the end of a good book, and it's over?  I don't want that feeling in this life.  I want to pause.  Muse.  Cherish the journey.  Because this is not the end!  Our hope is not in this life.  But in the Author of life who will one day make right every wrong.  There is so much to love right here.  Celebrate the blessings He has given you!  Today.
dance parties
Sunday afternoon strolls
nightly bonding over 3D tic-tac-toe
rainy days with a book
after-school bike-rides in the basement
 lunch dates with littles
boys singing, and air guitar
little toes
more dance parties {their faves: "One day" and "Who let the dogs out"}
little wills
his smile
{I realize that's alot of pics of our boys, but I posted gift ideas all last week and didn't want to leave out these moments.}

Happy Monday!
A new week, a blank page, a second chance,
to live for what truly matters.

 Pinned Image 
“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors' children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”  
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, friend! So thankful for God's grace; especially on hard days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holl - I've had psalm 130.3-4 in my mind all week: "LORD, if you kept a record of our sins, who, O Lord, could ever survive? BUT YOU offer forgiveness, that we may learn to fear you." He is so gracious. Love and Hugs!

    ReplyDelete